Thursday, September 17, 2026

How Art Can Help with Depression and Anxiety: Creative Activities for Better Mental Health

Introduction: Discovering the Mental Health Benefits of Art

 

                  I never thought of myself as an artist. Writing has always been my creative avenue. Over the last few years, I have discovered that I need more. So, I started looking into how art benefits mental health and then picked up a paintbrush. 

Art can be used to relieve stress. It can also ease anxiety. Art helps distract me when depression feels like it is pushing me down. I would like to share some of what I have learned and experienced. I will also share some other art practices that can be useful. Then I will end with short practice we can all try.

                  Before I start here are two of my previous posts that share more specific information on using art with mental illness: Art and Depression and How Art Helps Depression and Anxiety: Ways Creativity Can Improve Mental Health.

                  My entrance into art started with a Paint Nite a friend asked me to go to with her. We enjoyed a night of learning to paint a night scene with trees. I have gone to other Paint Nites since and learned to paint with acrylic paint.  I found these to be calming and distracting. The thoughts that feel so heavy with depression and anxiety get push down by task of learning how to paint the scene. From there I learned the art of paint pouring which soothes me when I am anxious. Both acrylic painting and paint pouring give me a sense of accomplishment that helps lift my mood.

 

Exploring Markers, Patterns, and Mindful Creativity

                  One thing I do now when I am anxious is draw rows of circles in a sketchpad reserved just for anxiety drawing. I keep the pattern the same. For me six rows of five circles helps reduce anxiety. I usually draw patterns in the circle. The whole thing is repetitive which helps interrupt repetitive thoughts. It may sound strange that repetition can interrupt repetitive thoughts, but I have found that it works.  Sometimes I use color as part of the patterns. I always name the piece when I am done. That helps provide a little closure. 

                  Coloring books help me, too. There is a sense of calmness that comes with just allowing myself to color. I try to focus on the image and what I want it to look like when I am done. 

                  Recently, I have been playing with markers. There is a routine to how I approach it. First, I draw two curving lines across the blank page. I have been using gold and silver for this. Although, for an earth tones inspired piece, I used dark brown. If the spaces created by the curving lines seem too large, I add a third curving line. Then I choose a color scheme. With markers I color in the different spaces. I try not to think too much. I keep my focus on the color I am using and what shades of that color will go well in the adjacent spaces. A few times I have placed art tape on the blank page first. I remove it when I am done with markers. It leaves a pattern of white lines.

 

Art Activities to Try for Depression and Anxiety

 

·      Mandala Drawing: In mandala drawing we repeat circles, patterns and symmetry. This can give our attention something predictable to focus on, which can be calming when our thoughts are scattered. 

·      Doodling: We have all probably doodled at some point in our lives. Maybe in a boring class or while on a phone call. When we doodle there is no need to make something “good”. Doodling is a way to occupy our hands while at the same time it reduces our need to ruminate on something.

·      Mindful Coloring: There are many mindful coloring books available. Many of these have intricate patterns that offer structure without requiring us to come up with an idea on our own. Selecting colors and filling in the spaces can reduce anxiety and calm a mind filled with depressive thoughts.

·      Collage: When we cut out and arrange images, colors, and textures we are doing something tactile that allows us to express how we are feeling.

·      Zentangle: This is something that I am just starting to explore. It is a method of structured, repetitive patterns or tangles, on small pieces of paper. There is usually no advanced planning. When using this for anxiety relief, the predictable repetition gives our attention something concrete to focus on and in so doing, interrupts cycles of worry or rumination. Zentangle practice can help with depression by providing approachable small increments to work on. It also provides a sense of accomplishment without requiring much energy or artistic ability.

 

There are many art forms that are useful when battling depression and anxiety.

Tutorial videos can be found on YouTube. A local craft store may have books. I have some mindful coloring books and a couple Zentangle books that were purchased on Amazon. Search for what seems approachable and calming for you.

 

A Simple 10-Minute Art Practice for Anxiety and Depression

Try this with a blank piece of paper:

 

1.        Put your pen down and make one continuous, slowly wandering line for 1–2 minutes.

2.        Whenever the line crosses itself, round the intersection.

3.        Pick one small section and fill it with dots.

4.        Fill another with waves, another with spirals, another with little leaves or whatever mark feels natural.

5.        Continue for 10 minutes without judging the result.

6.        At the end, spend 30 seconds noticing three things you can see, two things you can feel physically, and one sound you can hear.

 

Final Thoughts: You Don't Have to Be an Artist

                  We do not need to be artistic to enjoy the mental health benefits of art. We just need to be willing to try something different. Start small. Do not overwhelm yourself. Try to avoid judgement. The focus should be on the practice of the art not the final product. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment