A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Friday, June 16, 2023

Why a Depression Blog?

     Depression has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.  It first reared its ugly head when I was in my early teens.  I don’t have many memories from before that time.  The depression has stolen those.  I am now 50 years old.  I have lived my life in the darkness of depression. This darkness has suffocated me at times. Other times I have been able to hide the darkness and function.  At no time have I been truly okay. Depression is always there.  

    I used to believe that I was alone.  Now I know that I am not.  There are so many people suffering from depression, the silent illness that steals our lives.  That is why I am starting this blog.  I need to share my story to give it meaning.  I want others to know that their stories have meaning.  I plan to discuss all aspects of depression in this blog.  For years I have written my way through the darkness.  Much of that writing was just for me.  It was a means of ridding my mind of the darkness.  A few years ago, with the encouragement of my psychologist I shared my writing for the first time.  I have self-published five books (four poetry books and a memoir) since then. These books share what it is like to live with depression.  It is not enough.  I want to reach more people.  I want more people to understand depression.  I want more people to know they are not alone in their struggles with the illness.  That is how this blog was born.  It is my attempt to erase the stigma surrounding depression and give this illness a face. 

            Bent, Not Broken: Living with Depression is not only my story.  I will share facts about depression, lived experience, treatment options, coping strategies, support strategies, and much more.  People will have the opportunity to interact as we grow this community.  As a person living with depression, I am bent.  I have been pushed to the edge and tried to end the suffering.  I have been helped back up by an incredible team.  I have almost broken several times, but I have avoided that final crack.  I am lucky to have a support team that has kept me from breaking.  I understand not everyone has this support.  Thus, Bent, Not Broken: Living with Depression is meant to provide hope.  Depression may bend us, but we don’t have to break. Trees bend in the elements.  So, too, do we. Depression is a darkness that feeds off trying to break us. Together we can prevent each other from breaking. 

 

5 comments:

  1. Again, I am amazed with your honesty about your journey with depression. I learn something each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Meg. I am constantly learning about depression. It is a lifelong journey. I hope this blog helps people learn together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of what you are doing and sharing your experience with others. Not everyone can do what you are doing and this will help so many who cannot find their voice. Keep doing what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria. I hope to create a community where people with depression will know they are not alone and others will gain an understanding of this ugly illness.

      Delete
  4. Thank You! I so appreciate you! -Richele

    ReplyDelete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...