A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Dancing the Down Days Away

            It has been a rough week for me.  I was grateful to have a guest post earlier this week.  If you missed the post on TMS, “Renewed and Recharged” by Stephanie Debnath, please check it out.  

            Today’s post will be a poem because I am not up to writing a longer post.  The poem was inspired by a conversation with the nurse navigator, C, yesterday at chemo treatment.  She was telling me how down days are okay and are part of the battle with cancer.  I sensed she really understood what I was going through.  They were not just “feel good” words.  She has been in that same chemo chair and understands.  That makes a huge difference. Since the beginning she has been doing little dances to encourage me.  The dances let me know that I can get better and mean so much to me.  So, here is a poem for C.

 

Dancing the Down Days Away

 

Down days are a part of life.

Hope seems bleak.

My mood fades into darkness.

Down days are going to happen.

This is one thing I know.

On these days I must search for the rays of light.

Find the little dance that is inside of me.

I see the dance in others who have known down days.

Their dance brings a smile to my face,

Reminds me not all days are down.

So, I will do my best to dance on the down days,

Even if my rhythm is off and

I don’t hear the music.

My dance becomes one with countless others

Who have known these down days.

Together our steps allow us to see the light.

Dancing on the down days

Asserting hope among the darkness.

Dance, dance

Dance away the down days.

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Love the line “find the little dance that is inside me”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know it’s in there.

      Delete
  2. Dance dance dance - when you’re up and when you’re down. Move to feel alive and never stop. Whether it’s your whole body or just one toe, dance dance dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep dancing! Xo, ST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m learning to dance.

      Delete
  4. I love “I will do my best dance on my down days”. Not everyday do you have to be great and have to be able to get up and do things. You do as you can. Everyday is a different dance. Dance on your down days. Any little bit will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s what I’m trying to do. Some days I don’t have the strength to dance, but I dance on the days I can.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...