A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Grateful Despite Cancer and Depression

           The past year has been very different for me.  It has been a difficult year to say the least.  Still, I have a lot to be grateful for this year.  As Thanksgiving is upon us, I would like to reflect on what I have to be grateful for.  Illness cannot prevent my gratitude.

            2023 started with me in a deep depression.  It was a battle that lasted months and impacted my ability to function.  It was one of the worst periods of depression that I have had in my lifetime.  That being said, I am grateful for my mental health team.  Dr. K, Dr. S, and Stephanie got me through a very difficult time.  My primary care, Cristina, also helped.  I am grateful to all four of them.  I know that not everyone has a mental health care team that they can rely on in difficult times.  In my darkest times they are there, supporting me, helping me through suicidal thoughts.  This past year I have really needed them.  They continue to be by my side as I battle cancer.  Having a mental illness and a physical illness is not easy.  I need their support and healing touch.  So, as I think about what I am grateful for this year, these four people are right there. 

            In addition, to my mental health difficulties, I am now facing cancer.  I am grateful that Cristina made sure I had the tests needed to diagnosis my cancer.  I am grateful that she made sure I am receiving the best care for my cancer.  That brings me to my oncology team.  Dr. St is amazing.  She gives me hope that I can beat stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. In addition to Dr. St., C has been inspiring.  She is the nurse navigator that encourages me with her dancing and words of encouragement.  Jackie, the nurse practitioner, helps by ensuring that I am prepared for chemo.  I also appreciate all the chemo nurses who provide such tremendous care.  They make sure I am taken care of and that everything goes smoothly during chemo.  I have hope that I can beat cancer because of this great team.

            As I reflect on what I am grateful for I must recognize my family and friends.  First, my Aunt Holly has been by my side through all my cancer journey.  She also understands the mental health side of what I am going through.  I am grateful for her care and encouragement.  My cousin, Sara, has helped me with so much.  I am grateful to have her by my side on this journey.  I remember us as kids, and I feel lucky that she is still in my life.  My mom and brother have been helping me.  They check on me and send supportive words.  I didn’t realize how much they understood about what I am going through until a recent conversation with my brother.  It has changed my perspective.  I feel grateful that they want to be an integral part of my healing journey.  My Aunt C and Uncle D check on me and encourage me.  They are coming to help me next week.  My Uncle A always texts to check on me and encourage me. 

            My friends have been great.  I want to mention them all here, but I am afraid I will leave someone out.  I’ll try.  Know that if I miss you, I still appreciate you.  Thank you, Pam, Shannon, Carol N, Sarah, Maria, Gus, Nancy, Jessica, Bernie, and Sharon.  I am grateful to the friends I went to school with over the years who have reached out.  It means a lot that even though we have been separated by time, you are still care.  Others have reached out including Sue, Robin, and Meg. Thank you to all of you.

            My colleagues have been wonderful.  I am touched by their generosity in helping me in my time of need.  I am grateful that so many of them reach out to me.  It means a lot. I appreciate my colleague, Robert, who sends me a gratitude list every morning.  It reminds me to be grateful.   Thank you to my former students who are wishing me well.  Your support means so much to me.  

            I know I have a battle with mental and physical illness.  It is not easy.  I have a lot of fighting left to do.  I am choosing to focus on the fact that I am lucky to have the ability and the opportunity to fight.  My battle is overwhelming, but my health care team, my family, my friends, my colleagues, and my former students give me the courage and strength to keep fighting.  I don’t know how my battle will end, but I am confident that I have wonderful people surrounding me in this battle.  For that I am grateful.  Cancer and depression chose me.  What they didn’t realize was they chose a fighter with a great support team.  I know it won’t be easy and some days are going to be hard.  At times I may want to give up.  That is okay.  It is part of the fight.  Good days and bad days will come together.  I will rely on my support team.  Each day I fight is another day to be grateful for.  So, thank you to everyone.  Please stay by my side and help me beat these illnesses.  

            I encourage everyone to reflect on what they are grateful for as Thanksgiving approaches.  It helps put life in perspective.  Even though I have to serious illnesses, I have a lot to be grateful for.  I have learned not to take life for granted.  Illness has given me that perspective. 

            I wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I’ll be back next week.

 

            


17 comments:

  1. Remembering what we’re grateful for really does help me. I love reading all that you are grateful for - even in the midst of what has been a really difficult year with more than your share of struggle. Love you and I am grateful for you! ST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how gratitude helps our prospective. Love you, too.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Gina, for reminding all of us to look outside of ourselves and be grateful for the people who bring meaning to our lives. And Gina, I'm grateful that you are my friend. Enjoy your time with your family during Thanksgiving. PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for always being there. Can you believe it’s been over 30 years?

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the reminder of all there is to be grateful for, even in the face of such challenging circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve learned that gratitude keeps me going.

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Dear One. I’m grateful for all the usual things and people. There are so many. I am a very fortunate person. This year, most of all, I am grateful that you are allowing me to share this double barreled crazy ride with you. I am honored to be one of your partners. I love you. HB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful that you are on this ride with me. I don’t know where I’d be without you. Love you.

      Delete
  5. Grateful that you have allowed everyone into your life. Sometimes, we don't know why we cross paths with people, only to find that years later it makes so much sense. Thankful to be on your team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so thankful for you.

      Delete
  6. You have faced many challenges and I am so proud and happy that those karate lessons are helping you kick and chop cancer and depression to the curb. We are fighting right behind you and promise to hold up when times get trying. We are grateful for your courage and openness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m fighting with everything I’ve got. I plan on living to watch all the great things my niece and nephew do. I plan on being at my former students high school graduations. I’ve got a lot to live for.

      Delete
  7. Gina, I am grateful to know you. I'm proud of you. Your journey isn't easy but you are blessed to have a team, family, friends, peers, and students fighting with you. You were always meant to published your books to help others. Now again your sharing this journey to help even more people. Cancer changes us and those who love you. Keep fight, never give up. I'm praying for you kick cancer butt.
    Happy Thanksgiving me and my family. Meg 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope my writing helps others as much as it helps me. Wishing you the a wonderful Thanksgiving. May the light of healing be upon you.

      Delete
  8. Great post! Difficult times allow me to grow but to also learn how to rely on others. Beautiful words and I am grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m learning how difficulties show us what we have to be grateful for in life. It puts things in perspective. I’m grateful for you.

      Delete
  9. I’m
    So grateful that you are there supporting me. I’m blessed with a wonderful support system.

    ReplyDelete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...