A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Monday, September 25, 2023

Whispers Above the Water

             Today’s post is a poem I wrote this weekend.  Writing in general, and poetry in particular, has always been healing for me.  It has been one of my coping strategies throughout my battle with depression.  Now, I am writing to deal with both the depression and the cancer.  Writing allows me to get the thoughts out of my head and onto paper.  This makes them concrete, which allows me to process them in a more productive manner.  

            I share this poem today to express what I am going through.  I hope that others find strength in my words.  If you would like to read more of my poetry, I have published four books of poetry and a memoir.  Check them out at your local bookstore or Amazon.  Just search for my name. There are also links on my website www.ginacapobianco.com.  

            One of my friends mentioned that maybe there is a book waiting to be written in the journey I am now on.   Who knows? Maybe I will find my way to write that book.  

 

 

Whispers Above the Water

 

The ebb and flow of emotions.

The ripples become waves at times.

I try to hang on,

Ride each wave out,

But the emotions are powerful.

Their intensity overwhelms me.

I consider letting go,

Allowing the waves to drown me.

Something within me whispers.

I hear a faint voice telling me to grab hold.

The voice whispers that

It is not my time.

I reach through the waves, 

Grab on to hope.

The voice grows stronger.

I hear it emanating from within me.

The voice echoes around me,

“Don’t give up!”

I am buoyed by the words.

Now, my head above the waves,

Battle gear in place,

I am now ready to fight.

 

17 comments:

  1. This is a very powerful poem. I love hearing that you are grabbing onto hope and ready to fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Everyone who is supporting me gives me the strength to fight.

      Delete
  2. Just an empowering poem. I've always think your words changes lives. You are always in my thoughts. Meg & Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope my words help others.

      Delete
  3. Others have head the nail on the head. Your poem is empowering and so visual. Keep writing your blog and poems because I know you're helping others and yourself to see the light and hope for a brighter future. (PM)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Writing helps me and my hope is that my writing reaches others and helps them. Helping others gives meaning to my battle.

      Delete
  4. The above should read "hit the nail on the head"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Gina. So glad you’re writing poetry again. And finding strength in the words you write. Love you, Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Writing has been so helpful. Love you.

      Delete
  6. Great visual during my read of this poem, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful poem. You are a warrior and we have your 6! This poem I’m. Sure will help those going through hard times. Keep up the fight, some days you need to realize that there is a riptide and you need to swim parallel to the shore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this poem. I can feel you trying to stay above waters. I can feel what you feel. It’s so powerful and speaks volumes. It’s probably my favorite poems you’ve written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Poetry has always been healing for me. I have another poem I will be posting soon. I think you’ll like it.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...