A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Celebrating Nurse Practitioner Week

            Last month I recognized special physician’s assistants.  This week (November 12-18) is National Nurse Practitioner Week.  I’d like to recognize these amazing health care workers.  

            First, let’s learn a little about these professionals.  According to the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, nurse practitioners are “…clinicians who assess, diagnose and treat acute and chronic diseases, as well as counsel, coordinate care, and educate patients regarding illnesses.”  They “…undergo rigorous national certification, periodic peer review, clinical outcome evaluations, and adhere to a code for ethical practices.”

            Nurse practitioners treat patients in clinic and hospital settings.  They work with patients in a variety of health care fields including family practice, acute care, oncology, pediatric care, psychiatric/mental health care. These are just a few of the fields where nurse practitioners can be found.

            I was first introduced to the care of a nurse practitioner 20-25 years ago when I saw Tam.  She was incredible.  She took care of me with the knowledge of a doctor and the bedside manner of a nurse.  She took great care of me in the years that I saw her.  Tam was one of the first primary care providers to address my mental health.  I was very grateful for her care.  I am still in contact with Tam after all these years.  Occasionally I ask her for medical advice.  She has always been there.  I consider myself lucky to have been treated by Tam.

            Right now, there is an important nurse practitioner who is a part of my care team.  You have met her on this blog.  Stephanie is a psychiatric nurse practitioner who provides the TMS and ketamine treatment that have been so integral in my mental health care.  When I first started TMS a psychiatrist provided oversight of my treatment.  The second provider was Dr. Hutton, a leader in the field.  They were both great.  When Stephanie took over, I experienced the benefits of a nurse practitioner.  Stephanie ensures that I am comfortable with my treatment.  She has monitored the ups and downs I have experienced.  She connects with my psychiatrist, psychologist, and primary care.  In fact, she has been a leader in that connection.  When I talk to her about my mental health she listens intently and helps me make sense of what my depression and anxiety are doing to me.  Stephanie is there during the crises. She has helped me through suicidal thoughts and provided me with hope.  I feel comfortable with Stephanie and know that I can share any thoughts with her.  I appreciate Stephanie greatly.

            As a person with mental illness, I understand how important it is to have a mental health team.  Stephanie is an integral part of my team. I realize a lot of people don’t have a mental health team like I do.  I am aware that I am lucky.  I spent years without a team.  It is my hope that there will be more teams of mental health care providers to treat people with mental illness.  Psychiatric nurse practitioners are an important part of building those teams.  I hope someone reading this will decide to become a nurse practitioner after reading about them.  We need more nurse practitioners in the health care.

            Before I end this post, I’d like to give a shout out to another nurse practitioner.  Thank you, Jackie. She is the nurse practitioner who is a part of my oncology team.  Your care is appreciated.  

            If you see a nurse practitioner show your appreciation this week.  Show them your appreciation whenever you get the opportunity.  Encourage young people to consider a career as a nurse practitioner. Thank you to all the nurse practitioners serving patients. 

 

2 comments:

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...