A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Things to Be Proud of When You Have a Mental Illness

                  Living with a mental illness is not easy.  It is often a struggle. Days and nights can be rough.  Often, it is difficult to recognize the positives in life.  In my own personal experience, depression leads me to get down on myself frequently.  My view of myself is clouded by the depression.  It is tough to recognize when I do something well.  This is common with depression and other mental illnesses.  

                  One thing I have learned is that I need to try to recognize the positives even if they are small.  This is not an easy task, but it can make a huge difference.  When you live with depression some days it is hard to just get out of bed or take a shower.  As simple as it may sound getting out of bed can be something to be proud when you are depressed.  For me sometimes I should give myself credit for just going from my bed to my recliner in the morning.  It seems little, but it can take a lot of mental effort.  

                  As I consider things to be proud of when living with a mental illness, I think of how wide the range of accomplishments really are.  At times just getting out of bed is a huge accomplishment.  Other times working a full day or full week can be an accomplishment.  There were many times in my career when I felt I just couldn’t get through a day at work.  Unfortunately, it is only now in hindsight that I am able to recognize what an accomplishment it was to work full-time while living with depression and anxiety.   There are days I don’t know how I made it through.  Looking back, I should have taken more mental health days.  I should have given myself credit for being able to work.  I can look back now and be proud, but in the midst of it, I didn’t know I could be proud.  That is why I feel it is important to write about this now.  I want others to know that people with mental illness do so much that they can and should be proud of.  

                  It starts with the little things.  Maybe just getting dressed is an accomplishment some days.  Going for a walk or washing a couple of dishes can be a huge achievement.  Because depression weighs so heavy on people, it is important to take things step-by-step. If you have a sink full of dishes, maybe you can wash one glass and one plate.  That is a start and can be something to be proud of doing.  It is in the small steps that we move toward bigger things.  There have been days where I have looked at something that needs to be cleaned and thought, “I just can’t do that.”  That is okay.  Maybe I pick up one thing.  Or put one thing away.  With depression, those can be accomplishments.

                  Other accomplishments might be practicing one skill your therapist suggested you work on between appointments.  Even if you do it just once, you are making progress. Remembering to take your medication can be an accomplishment.  Sitting in the sunshine or walking around the block are accomplishments.  Sometimes finding the strength to tell a thought to stop is a huge accomplishment.  There are so many things in our lives that require effort when we have depression.  We don’t need to be perfect.  We just need to make attempts.  If we don’t get things done, that is okay.  Depression is an illness, and it makes life difficult.  

                  Maybe you need someone on the outside to help you see your accomplishments and help you recognize that there are things in your life you can be proud of doing.  For me it helps when my mental health team points something out.  Often, I have difficulty seeing that I am making progress because the depression can be so dark and all-consuming.  I find myself leaning on their words to build my confidence.  Perhaps, a friend or family member can fill this role for you.  Talking about your struggles and accomplishments in a support group can be beneficial.  In a support group you are sharing with others who understand what you are going through and leaning on that support can make a difference.  

                  Being proud of yourself is not easy.  I struggle with it.  With help I am learning to be proud of the little things.  You can, too.  Break life down into smaller chunks.  We don’t have to accomplish the big things in one attempt. Some days are going to be harder than others.  On mornings when just getting out of bed is an accomplishment, take it. Acknowledge it.  Say, “I feel like crap, but I got out of bed.”  Whatever the accomplishment is be proud and acknowledge it.  Remember accomplishments are going to look different at various times.  Depression’s grip can be stronger some days than other days.  Take each moment independently.  I know this is not easy.  As I said, I still struggle with it.  That is the nature of depression.  It tries to take joy away from us.  Steal a bit of that joy back by being proud of even the smallest accomplishment.  That will make room for bigger ones.  

2 comments:

  1. This is good advice for those with postpartum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Whenever we are struggling, we need to acknowledge that our accomplishments no matter how small they may seem to others.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...