A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Monday, May 6, 2024

Signs You Might Need to Talk to a Therapist

                Therapy.  The word conjures up many misleading ideas   There is stigma attached to therapy.  Often, people hide the fact that they go to therapy because of this stigma.  We need to break down the stigma.  Going to therapy should be as normalized as going to the gym or a yoga session for physical health.  Seeing a therapist should be seen as just as important as seeing a doctor for physical health. 

                  I have been in therapy all my adult life.  You may wonder if it works why do I have to continue to go.  I have a mental illness.  It needs to be treated.  Therapy is part of my treatment.  I work on different things with my psychologist.  As my journey with depression continues, I find that I need support with different things. Therapy provides that support.  It is a vital part of my treatment.  

                  What are some signs that seeing a therapist might be beneficial to you?  Having a mental health diagnosis is one sign.  Although not everyone with a mental illness finds it necessary to work with a therapist.  As with physical illnesses, mental illness is individualized, and treatment plans can vary from person to person.  

Some reasons to consider therapy include:

 

·      Depression

·      Anxiety

·      Feeling overwhelmed

·      Overwhelming emotions

·      Loss of interest in activities

·      Anger

·      Relationship issues/struggles

·      Mood affecting relationships and/or work

·      Grief

·      A specific phobia

·      Isolation

·      Destructive behaviors

·      Substance abuse

 

 

The above are just some reasons a person might need to consider therapy.  People

go to therapy for many reasons.  Sometimes it is short-term.  Other times it can be for longer periods.  Again, it is based on the individual.  

                  How do you get in to see a therapist?  One way is to talk to your primary care provider and ask for a referral.  You can also do a Google search for therapists in your area and start making calls to see who has openings for new patients.  It might be necessary to call your insurance provider and ask for a list of therapists in their network.  If you don’t have insurance, there are many therapists who don’t deal with insurance.  You can also contact NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) for help finding a therapist.  If you are in a crisis situation, call 988, the mental health hotline.

 

                  What should you look for in a therapist?

 

                  I consider myself lucky because I have a great therapist. He is a psychologist.  Some therapists are psychologists.  Some are MFTs.  See my post my March 7th post – Different Types of Mental Health Professionals for more information on the different types of therapists.  

                  A good therapist will listen to you.  They will give you the space to talk.  Therapists use different strategies to help you work on what you need.  You want a therapist you feel comfortable with. You should feel safe with your therapist.  Setting goals is an important part of therapy.  It is also important to have a therapist who is willing to work as part of a team, especially if you also have a psychiatrist or if your primary care provider is involved in your mental health.  I have found the team approach to be vital to my journey.  

                  Only you can determine if the therapist is right for you.  There is nothing wrong with deciding you need a different therapist if you feel one isn’t right for you.  It is important that you feel comfortable enough to open up to your therapist. If you can’t be open with your therapist, you won’t receive the benefits you need from therapy.  

                  I would be lost without my psychologist.  The therapy relationship is an important aspect of my treatment.  I know that I can talk to him about anything.  My comfort level allows me to trust, which in turn allows me to heal.  I know I can contact him when I am n crisis. Trust is key to the patient/therapist relationship.  

                  As I mentioned at the beginning, there is a stigma attached to therapy.  The more we normalize going to therapy, the more we can break down that stigma.  If you find yourself in need of therapy, please reach out and find a therapist.

 

2 comments:

  1. Love that's there types of mental health therapists. Now I'm gonna go read that big! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find it helpful.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...