A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

A Personal Observation About Healthcare for People with Mental Illness

            There is something on my mind. I was just in the hospital for physical health-related issues. For the most part everyone was great, but I have one concern. The doctor on the unit stopped my depression medication. Now medications don’t work for me, but my psychiatrist has decided to keep me on this one while we pursue alternative treatments. How can the doctor just take me off it? I have enough experience with psychiatric medications to understand that tapering is needed. So, I questioned why my medication was stopped. I said my psychiatrist, whom I trust, says I need it. After my questioning, another doctor said I could take it, but that I would have to get someone to bring it to me from home because the hospital doesn’t have it. I understand I’m on a medication that is not very common, but that’s not my fault. 

      My concern is that my needs as a person with a mental illness were dismissed by a doctor providing care for my physical needs. I shouldn’t have to speak up to get the medication I need. This is an example of one of the many problems people with mental illness face in healthcare. We must get better.

            I do want to say that there are good people in healthcare.  The nurses were understanding about why I needed my medication.  My primary care provider understands mental health and always ensures my needs are met.  Unfortunately, there are others out there who are not understanding whether from lack of training or lack of care. This is not the first time I have experienced this type of treatment.  I’ll return to this topic in later posts and share my experiences and invite others to share theirs.

 

Check back Thursday, July 19th for my next post.

            

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Some doctors need to listen to their patients. We know ourselves more and know if something is working and if it’s not. If they don’t have the medicine you need they could have spoken to you in another way and apologized. Sorry you had to go through that experience. I’m glad you do have healthcare providers that care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m grateful for the healthcare providers who do understand. I hope that there will be more of them, especially the ones coming out of medical school now. They need to learn more about mental health in their training.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...