A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Monday, July 24, 2023

Finding the Right Therapist

            Therapy is a key part of living with depression.  I believe it is vital to have the right therapist. Whether that person is a psychologist, counselor, or therapist finding the right one is vital.  Finding the right one can be a process.  There will be some that just don’t meet your needs.  That doesn’t mean that he or she is not a good therapist.  It just means the fit is not right.  

            In the early years of my depression, I saw several different therapists.  I have been with the same therapist, a psychologist, for 21 years now.  He provides for my needs and understands me.  Therapy is often a difficult journey in which you face many of your challenges head on.  For me it has been beneficial to be with the same psychologist for years because he knows me, and I am comfortable talking to him.  Therapy requires openness and a willingness to trust.  That has built up for me.  I know that when I go into a therapy session, I will make progress.  That progress may look different each time.  That is okay.  It is part of the journey.  

            So, what should you look for in a good therapist.  A simple search of the internet will give you many qualities.  Here are some that I feel are important:

 

·      Trustworthiness

·      Empathy

·      Communication Skills

·      The ability to listen to what is said and not said

·      Compassion

·      Critical Thinking

·      Optimism

·      Observation Skills

·      Hopeful/Positive

·      Patience

 

            It is important to feel comfortable with your therapist.  You will spend a lot of time working with him or her.  Your relationship, while professional, needs to be sincere.  It needs to be built on trust.  As the patient, you need to know that your therapist has your best interests at heart.  Your therapist needs to know that you will be honest with him or her.  It is not good to hide things from your therapist.  Don’t paint a picture you think he or she wants to hear.  Your therapist needs to know your reality.  He or she deserves to know your reality.  That is the only way they can help you battle depression (or other mental illness).  

            Therapy is a two-way street.  For it to be successful there must be commitment from both the patient and the therapist.  Together you embark on a journey.  You will navigate many aspects of your depression.  Some sessions will be the “feel good” type.  Others will be deep and gut-wrenching.  Both types are necessary.  

            Whether you already have a therapist, or you are just beginning your search, remember that the decision of fit is yours to make.  You need to be proactive for yourself, but it’s also okay to ask for help.  Make the best of your patient-therapist relationship.  He or she is a key member of your support team and will make a difference in your treatment. 

 

Check back Thursday, July 27th for a new post.   

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100% finding the right therapist is very important. I’ll never forget when I was going through anxiety and the therapist made me feel like I was just taking up his time. I don’t even think he was listening to me. I never went back and for a long time I didn’t want to go to any therapist. I was so upset and felt that all therapist were the same. I agree that it’s a two way street and it takes the commitment from both for it to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therapy definitely takes commitment from both the patient and the therapist. You also have to find the right fit.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...