A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, January 25, 2024

A Look at Myself

            I don’t know what I want to write about today.  One thing that has been on my mind is an incident that happened the other day.  As most of you know, I am bald because of chemotherapy.  I wear a hat when I am out in public.  As I was standing in line at a restaurant a young man reached in front of me and said, “Excuse me, sir.”  He called me sir.  I know I am bald, but I don’t think I look like a man.  I realize I don’t have the figure I once had due to a breast reduction, but I thought I still looked like a woman.  I wanted to respond.  I wanted to say, “I’m not a dude.  I have cancer.” Instead, I stood there quietly and looked away.  The word “sir” hurt.  I know I shouldn’t let it.  The young man didn’t mean anything by it. At least he was polite.  A lot of people don’t say “excuse me” anymore.  

            Cancer has changed my perspective on life.  It has made me value the time I do have.  Cancer has made me want to fight to live.  Through my diagnosis and treatment, I have found a fight in me that I didn’t know existed.  Cancer has changed me physically.  I am weak.  I can’t walk very far without getting fatigued.  It has left me with discolored skin.  I am now bald.  It’s this last piece that has me looking like a man.  Until this incident I thought I was okay with my hair loss.  Now, I wonder if I should get a wig.  When I lost my hair, I made the decision not to get a wig.  I told myself that even without hair I am still me.  I am the same person I was with hair.  Well, I am still a woman.  

            This young man had no idea how much his words impacted me.  My cousin, Sara, and my friend, Maria, encouraged me when I told them what had happened.  They helped me focus on the fact that it was just an unobservant person trying to be polite.  They told me I look fine.  I am trying to believe them.  

            As I write this, my nose has begun to bleed.  Another reminder of the cancer.  Will it ever stop?  Will the reminders always be there?  

I cleaned up the blood and returned to my computer screen.  Still, it is annoying.  Cancer has changed me in more ways than I want to admit.  Yes, it has changed my perspective on life.  I value my life more.  Unfortunately, I also have more fears.  Every pain I feel makes me question if it is cancer.  My mind is consumed by the thought that someday the cancer will take my life.  I am waiting on blood work results.  My mind is telling me that the results haven’t come back yet because it is bad news.  I know that is ridiculous.  It probably just takes time to get the results.  Yet, my mind seizes every opportunity to think the worst.  Some of it is my anxiety disorder.  I am aware of that.  Cancer just added another layer to my anxiety.

            I know I should call about the results, but my mind is debating that.  If I don’t call, I won’t receive bad news.  On the other hand, if do call I might find relief.  What do I do?  I sit here unsure of my next step.  I write about it.  Get it all out on the page.  As I mentioned in my last post, writing is healing for me.  I am not sure if what I am writing now is healing or if it is just distracting me.  

            Cancer has changed me in good ways and bad ways.  I need to work on coping with all the changes.  That is why I attend a support group.  It is why I have a mental health team.  It is why I lean on family and friends.  I can’t do this alone.  Fighting illness requires a team approach.

 

8 comments:

  1. It’s ok to be scared. It’s ok to question things. You have gone through so much that it’s normal. I see something on tv and think I have it. I can’t even imagine what you must go through. It’s what you do once you have those fears that count. Talk to your doctors. They will reassure you. Don’t live in fear. You have overcome so much. You deserve to live without fear. I know it will be a constant reminder and the fear will always be there but you have fought so many other things and have overcome them. The fear you can overcome as well. The man saying “sir” was like I said an oversight but of course it hurts and then puts thoughts in your head. Don’t let the action of one person dictate your future. You are a beautiful women inside and out. Don’t let others make you feel different about the person you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate your care and support. It makes a difference

      Delete
  2. You’re in such a tricky spot right now - hard to trust you’re doing well, and still recovering from what your body - and mind - have been through these last many months. I hope you can be kind to yourself and try to enjoy something each day as you work your way back to health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Writing helps.

      Delete
  3. You survived a huge battle. Men do not notice details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate your support.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...