A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Monday, February 19, 2024

Struggling with My Illnesses

                 I am having a rough time.  I don’t feel well.  In the past not feeling well physically would not be a problem.  I would have just taken an over-the-counter remedy and moved on with my day.  Now, I can no longer do that.  My head, or rather my anxiety, won’t allow me that luxury.  Cancer changed my world in so many ways.  It has required me to relearn how to live.  I have learned to fight a terrible illness.  Cancer has made me more vulnerable both physically and mentally.  As a result, I have learned to accept help.  I now understand that my life has worth.  Those are just a few of the lessons I have learned on this journey.

                  What hasn’t changed is the control anxiety has over me.  The anxiety has increased in some ways.  The last several days my stomach has been upset and I have been somewhat nauseous.  I also have pain in my abdomen near my liver.  This is the same way I felt right before I was diagnosed with cancer.  So, of course my anxiety has latched onto that fact.  I know Dr. St, my oncologist, who I really do trust, has said the liver pain is not likely to be more tumors.  She examined me just last week.  My bloodwork is good.  She has explained all of this to me.  On an intellectual level, I believe her.  I can understand that she is right.  I know I have a pet scan coming up that will likely confirm what she has already told me.  Still, with every twinge of pain and every second of an upset stomach, my anxiety screams in my head.  It tells me the cancer is spreading.  

                  I find myself trying to believe my doctor. I know she is right, but still, I am anxious. I can reach out to my mental health team, to my oncology team, to my primary care provider and her nurse, to Aunt Holly, and to other family and friends.  The problem is none of them have had cancer.  As well-meaning as they are, they have never experienced what I am going through.  Part of me says that shouldn’t matter, but on some level that I don’t understand, it does matter.  Not only do I have cancer, but I also have depression and anxiety disorders.  Each of these three illnesses is difficult enough on its own.  Combined they are hell.  

The anxiety triggers the depression and vice versa.  Worrying about the cancer triggers both the depression and the anxiety.  Not feeling well physically is picked up by my mind, which jumps in and makes me feel worse.  I hate this. 

                  The nurse practitioner in my oncologist’s office called me last week.  She told me how to handle my upset stomach.  I am trying to follow her directions, but my mind wants immediate results.  That is not going to happen.  As I write this, my mind is questioning why the antacids I took ten minutes ago aren’t working.  Of course, I need to give them time.  I know that, but the anxiety that fills my mind tells me it is not going to work.  

                  The worst part is that I have not yet gone to bed.  That is when my mind loves to attack me.  As I lie in bed, I feel the pain over my liver.  My mind shrieks, “More tumors!”  Even though, Dr. St has assured me that is not the case, my mind’s argument is compelling.  I try to replay Dr. St’s words over and over in mind.  I focus my thoughts on hearing her voice.  Despite my efforts, I struggle.  

                  This is the part of being sick that doesn’t get as much attention.  The mind games. I know it happens to some degree for everyone who has cancer.  My depression and anxiety intensify everything.  I need constant reassurance, which makes me feel guilty.  I feel like I am reaching out for help too often.  I don’t know what else to do.  That reassurance is necessary for me.  I need a lot of reassurance.  It is something I cannot control.  I try to talk myself into being calmer.  I tell myself to focus on what Dr. St said.  It is a battle in my head that I can’t seem to win.

                  I am doing what I need to do to improve my depression and anxiety.  Every day I receive TMS treatment.  I believe it will help, but again, I need to be patient.  Every week I talk to Dr. Klein.  I talk to Stephanie weekly.  I have regular appointment with Dr. S.  My mental health is being addressed.  Depression and anxiety are powerful.  They overtake my mind making it harder to fight the cancer.  

                  I wish I could sit down with someone who has experienced what I am going through and just talk.  I attend an online support group for patients with stage 4 cancer.  It helps, but it is not enough for me at this point in my journey.  I am left with the question, “What can I do?”  Right now, I am not sure I know the answer to that question.  I’ll keep searching for the answer. I’ll try to keep reaching out to my mental health and physical health teams.  I know they are willing to help and that it is okay for me to reach out.  I need to remind myself of that.

Cindi, Dr. St’s nurse navigator understands what I am going through.  I find myself reaching out to her more often.  However, I can’t do that in the middle of the night when my anxiety is at its worst.  I struggle more at night, but the days are not easy.  

                  As for the physical ailments I am experiencing, I will follow the advice I was given.  I will eat soft foods when I can actually eat and take antacids and nausea meds.  For my mental health, I’ll keep going to TMS and trust my team to guide me through all of this.  I know that overall, I am doing fairly well.  It is never going to be easy, but I need to believe it can improve.

 

10 comments:

  1. I believe it can improve. I’m so sorry that it is so freakin hard! Do you think you can reach out on the “internets” for fellow cancer survivors with depression and/or anxiety? Start or join such a group? It’s a Terrible Triad you’re facing but I can’t believe you are alone. Caring and sympathy are readily available but a gut understanding of the TT would come from those who have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a great idea. I’ll try searching the internet. I love the term, Terrible Triad. That might make it into my next book. ❤️

      Delete
  2. Gina, sometimes, the only way we can hang on is to let go. Open your hand. Let go of the fear. Close your eyes and create that image. It's called (as I'm sure you already know) surrendered manifestation:

    "Surrendered Manifestation begins with the profound act of letting go. It's about releasing the tight grip of control and allowing the natural flow of life to guide your path. By relinquishing the need to micromanage every detail, you open yourself to the infinite possibilities that the universe holds."

    For me, it's more of a spiritual practice and it's helped me come through some of the darkest days of my life. Music (chant), sounds of rain shifts my focus - calms the 'monkey' in my mind (e.g., https://www.amazon.com/Monkey-Mind-Anxiety-Daniel-Smith/dp/1439177317). Hot tea (mint, chamomile with honey and warm lemon juice) is my beaverage of choice since wine, at least for me, never has claimed power over my nerves.
    Please know, dearest friend, that you are never alone (not day or night), God is with you. He holds you in his hands, dear one, just call his name.

    Lovingly,
    Tisha

    Chant: Gregorian Chant | 3 Hours Of Prayer With The Nuns | Orthodox Choir Music
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwMXWv-0hM
    Rain: Listen to the rain on the forest path, relax, reduce anxiety, and sleep deeply
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUBb-FAlCY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tish. I will try this. I appreciate your love and support. You are a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know one of our biggest struggles as humans is to sit with the unknown. nobody likes it, and it doesn't feel good. Our minds are ALWAYS trying to make sense of things. When your mind starts to "go" and all the thoughts flow... tell yourself, "my mind is just trying to make sense of what I'm feeling, seeing, hearing, etc. It's just trying to find the answer." Let it. Just observe the thoughts and know that your brain is trying to protect you, and that's okay. You don't have to do anything with the information. This will take practice, but it can sometimes be helpful to view it from a different angle. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the TMS is working its magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe TMS will help. I have faith in the treatment. It’s hard to be patient while I wait for its effects, but trust in it.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...