A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, February 29, 2024

Talking Back to Depression

                  Depression brings with it many difficulties.  One difficulty that can be particularly troublesome is negative thoughts.  I have struggled with negative thoughts my whole life.  The depression takes control, and it tells me things that are either not true or are overexaggerated.  These negative thoughts can easily take control and put me in a tailspin.  The tailspin can lead to suicidal thoughts, which then puts me in crisis.  I know I am not alone in this process.  People with depression struggle with negative thought patterns.  We need strategies to stop these thoughts.  

                  Over the years I have had a lot of help learning how to tell the thoughts to stop or to talk back to the thoughts.  Therapy has played a key role in teaching me these strategies.  I have learned these strategies from each of the members of my mental health team.  I am not perfect at using them.  Knowing the strategies is not enough.  They must be utilized in time to avoid a downward spiral.  I would like to share some of the ways I talk back to the negative, depression-fueled thoughts.  I would caution you that this is just what I have tried.  Sometimes I still struggle with it.  Depression is an illness.  It doesn’t just go away because we tell it to or because we want it to.  It requires constant effort.  Sometimes there will be failure.  That is okay.  As with any illness, depression requires constant care.  If one of these phrases doesn’t work, try another.  Remember there will be times when you need to reach for support either from loved ones or mental health professionals.  That is okay.  I can’t stress this enough.  It is okay to reach out when you are struggling.  

                  My go-to word when I notice the negative thoughts is simply, “stop”.  I say it in my head.  I try to tell the thought to stop.  I don’t try to argue with it or persuade it to be different.  I simply say “stop”.  This is an interruption strategy.  I am trying to interrupt the negative thought to get it to stop.  This is most effective if I catch the thought early.  When this works, I then try to replace the thought with something more positive or at least something neutral.  

                  The single word “stop” is sometimes not enough.   This is when I try to tell my thoughts that I know it is the depression talking and I am not going to listen.  This is a little harder than just saying “stop”.  I find myself saying something like, “I hear you telling me that life isn’t worth it, but I am not going to listen this time.”  I usually need to repeat it a few times to get the message across.  Sometimes I pair it with the word “stop.”  I may repeat that I am not listening.  At times I say, “Depression, I know you are trying to take control, but I am not going to allow that to happen.”  This is by no means easy.  It is often frustrating.  The voice of depression is loud.  It is also strong.  

                  Another phrase I use in my head is “Hey, Depression, I know you want control, but I can’t let you have control.  This is my life.”  I know it sounds strange to have conversations in my head. I am not talking out loud.  These are my thoughts talking back to the depression in my head.  It is a strategy that can be employed when the thoughts get strong.

                  When these phrases don’t work, I try writing.  If I can write my thoughts in my journal or on my computer, I can give them a sense of control.  I can also get the negative thoughts out of my head and make them concrete.  Sometimes just getting them out on paper is enough for me.  Other times I need to share what I have written with someone.  I usually share these written thoughts with one of the members of my mental health team.  If this strategy sounds good to you, know that you could also share your written words with a trusted loved one.  However, if the thoughts turn suicidal, I would recommend reaching out to a mental health professional.

                  There are times when talking back and writing are not enough.  Remember, depression is an illness.  It can vary in its strength from day to day or even moment to moment.  Another strategy I try is distraction.  For me music is a solid distractor.  When I am listening to music to distract myself from depression’s voice, I focus on listening to the lyrics.  Usually, I choose songs that I know resonate with me.  If I can get my mind to focus on the words of the song, those words can replace the thoughts in my head.  When I use this strategy, I like to lie in bed and close my eyes.  Other times I listen to the music while walking in my neighborhood.  I only do this when I feel safe enough to leave my house.  If the thoughts are too overwhelming or they are getting into that suicidal territory, I prefer to keep myself in my bedroom, where I have established a safe zone.  

                  Depression is often a solitary illness.  There is a lot of aloneness to it.  Despite this, it is important to remember that depression cannot be defeated alone.  So, when the thoughts get to be too much for me to handle on my own, I know I need to reach out.  For example, if I am having thoughts of hurting myself and they don’t respond to my initial attempt to stop them, I know I need help.  It is at this point that I will call my psychologist and leave him a voicemail, which I know he will receive because we have talked about this as a safety plan.  Depending on your situation, you might want to reach out to your mental health provider, a loved one, or to the 988 helpline. If the person you plan to reach out to is a loved one, you should create a plan in advance that lets the person know how to respond.  A simple safety plan might include what that person should ask you or say to you and who he or she should contact if necessary.  The plan should also include an explanation of when the person needs to reach out for professional help.  I have a plan and have shared it with the people in my life, who I would reach out to in if the self-harm or suicidal thoughts are in control.  

Reaching out is a sign of strength.  It took me a long time to realize that.  It is a lesson I needed to learn.  Often when we suffer with depression, we believe no one else understands.  To some extent it is true that people who don’t live with depression don’t understand, but that doesn’t mean they don’t want to understand or that they aren’t willing to help.  That is perhaps one of the greatest lessons I’ve learned in recent years.  Even in our darkest moment, those moments where the depression has taken complete control, there are ways to get help.  I encourage you to make plans for these times when you are not in the midst of depression’s stranglehold.  Discuss it with someone when you are in a place where things aren’t as bad.  This will allow you to have a plan for those darkest moments.  On the other side of the darkness, you will be glad you had a plan. 

Living with the thoughts depression creates is never going to be easy.  We need to make plans.  Think of it as a prescription for living with depression.  Not all prescriptions are for medication.  Knowing how to talk to depression and how to reach out are important parts of our treatment.  You might need to practice talking back to your thoughts with a mental health professional.  That is okay.  It is normal.  Your provider will understand and will help you.  Don’t allow depression to gain complete control.  Make a plan for dealing with the varying stages of the illness.  Ask for help.  Depression is an awful illness, but we can fight back.

I will leave you with this thought.  Depression is an awful illness, but it is one we can fight when we make plans and have strategies for dealing with it.  I encourage you to talk to your loved ones and mental health professionals about how you will talk back to depression and how you will reach out when necessary.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. This is insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great strategies especially having a plan when you lose control of your depression. I really like the suggestion of letting your "safe people" know how to respond to you. Especially if it's a family member or friend...we want to help but don't know what to say or how to react. PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Recognizing that others need to know my safety plan has been a hard part, but I now know how important it is to have others who know how to support me when I’m in a dark place.

      Delete
  3. I love the title “Talking Back to Depression”. I never thought about this but I started doing this self consciously without realizing it. For the past year or so every time I feel my anxiety coming on I talk back to it or talk to myself. It’s helped so much. It has calmed me down and takes me out of that horrible place and feeling. It is so interesting to know I was doing something without even knowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes instinct leads us to coping strategies. I hope you continue to use what works for you.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...