A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, April 11, 2024

An Invisible Illness

            I was thinking about how often people with depression get overlooked.  Their illness is not seen.  It happens to me.  Most people don’t realize I struggle with depression because I usually hold the illness inside of me.  With few outward signs, depression is not always viewed as the real illness that it is.  Sometimes we feel the need to hide our depression because people don’t understand that it is not just sadness. Depression is a real illness. It is painful and requires treatment.  

            Today I would like to share a poem I wrote that explains what it is like to live with an invisible illness.  If you have had similar experiences, I encourage you to comment.  If this poem makes you think of someone, share it with them so they know they are not alone.  The only way we are going to make depression visible is by normalizing it.  That requires discussions about depression.  There are many people living with this invisible illness.  My hope is that we can bring more visibility to depression and in doing so bring more healing. 

 

 

An Invisible Illness

 

I see it in the eyes of others.

They wonder how I can have an illness

When I seem to function so well.

My illness is invisible at times,

But it is always there.

Plaguing my mind;

Hindering my life.

I hold so much of the pain inside;

Pretend the physical symptoms are not real.

Mental illness is often silent on the outside.

Others do not understand what I go through each day.

They assume that I am okay.

Sometimes I even tell them that I am.

It is my attempt to normalize how I really feel,

But it is a lie.

Mental illness hurts.

Invisible at first glance.

Devasting when truly seen.

If others could see the torment

Maybe they would understand and

Life might be a little easier for me.

The pain of an invisible illness is hard to explain.

So, I do my best to hide it.

When really, I should explain it to anyone who will listen.

Let others know what it is like.

Raise awareness

And allow myself a chance to heal.

 

5 comments:

  1. Your poem is powerful.....I think your poem could also fit some one who is grieving, has an autoimmune diseaseI, or int their first stages of cancer before the chemo treats really knock them back.
    It's so hard to understand how someone feels who has a mental illness even when they explains how they feel. I can express empathy for them but you still don't understand or know what's happening in that person's mind because I haven't had those experiences. I'm not sure how that make the person with a mental illness feel better. I hope my comments aren't hurtful but I don't know how to help beyond listening. PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening is powerful. The fact that you listen means you care.
      I agree. The illnesses you mentioned are also invisible illnesses that we need to make visible.

      Delete
    2. I agree: Being supportive is tricky because each experience is personal and unique with a multitude of variables. I like to believe that we are all doing the best we can and assume goodwill.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...