A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Monday, April 15, 2024

Things You Can Do to Support Your Mental Health

                  Living with mental illness is not easy.  Often, even the simplest of tasks weigh heavy.  Getting out of bed can seem to be a Herculean task.  The darkness of depression can shroud your world.  So, what can we do to ease this heaviness?

                  One thing I think is important is to practice coping strategies when the darkness of depression is not as heavy. This will make it easier to engage in these strategies when the depression is bad.  I have tried to develop several coping strategies for myself.  I am not always good at turning to my coping strategies. That is part of the nature of depression.  When it has you down, it is difficult to engage.  That is why it is important to practice coping strategies.  In a sense they need to be somewhat automatic at times.  The more automatic strategies are, the easier they are to turn to when they are needed.

                  Coping strategies are supports that can help a person deal with depression in a healing way.  Here are some coping strategies you can try:

 

·      Listening to music

·      Writing/Journaling

·      Drawing

·      Walking

·      Exercising

·      Yoga

·      Painting

·      Meditation

·      Playing with a pet

·      Sitting with a friend or family member

·      Taking a shower

·      Sitting on the beach

·      Getting out in nature

·      Gardening

·      Deep breathing or other breathing exercise

·      Playing a musical instrument

·      Going to a support group

 

These are just some examples.  Coping strategies can be unique to each individual.

What works for one individual may not work for another. That is okay.  The important part is finding what works for you.  Try different things out.  Don’t get discouraged if something doesn’t work.  I know that is a difficult task when you are depressed.  That is why I think it is important to try coping strategies out when you are feeling a little better.  Then you know what you can turn to when the depression is worse.  

                  I have learned that writing, listening to music, walking, and painting work best for me.  I do want to try other things.  One thing I am considering is learning to play a musical instrument.  It may or may not work, but I can try.  The important thing is trying.  If we don’t try out different coping strategies, there is no chance we will find what works for us and we will be trapped in our depression.  

                  Coping strategies are not the only answer to depression.  Rather, they are a part of our toolkit.  Our depression toolkit might include medication and therapy.  It might include non-traditional treatments such as TMS, ketamine, or ECT.  Depression is an illness.  It requires treatment.  We can help that treatment be more effective by engaging in coping strategies.  

                  You may find it helpful to share your coping strategies with people who support you.  My mental health team knows my coping strategies.  The friends and family members I am closest to also know them.  By knowing my coping strategies, they can encourage me to try one when I am struggling with my depression.  I have found this to be very helpful.  Sometimes it is difficult to turn to a coping strategy on my own.  Having someone gently remind me helps.  

                  I encourage you to discover your own coping strategies.  Maybe it is something from the list above. Maybe it is something totally different.  Share your coping strategies in the comments section below.  You might have a strategy that will help someone else.  

 

6 comments:

  1. I think all people need coping strategies. Not every day is perfect. We all have obstacles. Your strategies can apply to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Everyone can benefit from
      Having coping strategies.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this! My coping strategies are cooking, gardening, listening to music (loudly) and watching mindless TV. I think we need to know it's okay to unplug from what we were doing or our lives for a bit to "reset and recenter" ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resetting and recentering is definitely important. I like to listen to music loudly, too. I love listening to some hot guitar riffs.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...