A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Monday, April 1, 2024

Benefits of Therapy for Depression

         Depression is a real illness.  It requires treatment. Therapy is an important part of that treatment.  There are different types of therapy.  Some of types of therapy include cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, humanistic therapy, integrative therapy, and interpersonal psychotherapy. In this post I will speak about therapy in general terms.  I will be referring to forms of psychotherapy or talk therapy.

The purpose of psychotherapy is to help a person identify and change troubling emotions, thoughts, and behaviors.  This is usually done in a one-on-one setting.  The provider is a licensed mental health provider such as a therapist or psychologist.  Therapy can take place in group settings as well.

I have engaged in therapy most of my adult life.  Psychotherapy has helped me develop coping skills and allowed me to better understand the shifts in my mood that are beyond my control.  I find that my mood improves when I am able to discuss the events and emotions that lead to my depression.  In therapy I am guided to understandings of my thoughts.  When I have a better understanding of what my thoughts are telling me, I can cope better.  I find that just having an open and safe space to talk is beneficial.  

So, what are the benefits of psychotherapy?  There are many benefits.  These benefits depend on the person and what he, she, or they need.  Some common benefits include:

·      Improving overall mental health

·      Increasing self-awareness

·      Developing coping strategies

·      Developing healthier communication strategies

·      Confronting anxiety

·      Getting through a crisis

·      Developing healthy relationships

·      Navigating trauma

·      Easing of symptoms

 

All these benefits are important.  Improved overall mental health will lead to

improved quality of life and easing of symptoms. When we increase our self-awareness, we better understand what triggers us and what leads to changes in our mood.  Developing coping strategies is important because it teaches us how to function when our mood is trying to drag us down.  Healthy communication strategies allow us to express what we are going through, which can help loved ones understand us and offer help.  Developing healthy relationships is tied to this communication skills.  When we experience depression, it is difficult to maintain relationships.   Therapy can help in this area by providing us with communication skills and self-awareness. 

                  Therapy is especially important when we are in crisis or trying to navigate trauma.  Having a psychologist or therapist gives a person someone to reach out to in times of crisis.  In therapy we can learn strategies to take when we are in crisis.  For example, I have learned how identify that I am crisis and how to contact my psychologist in moments of crisis.  I have also learned that resources such as 988 are available as well.  Being in therapy has allowed me to develop an understanding that reaching out for help, whether it be from my mental health team or 988 is not only important, but it is okay.

The benefits of therapy can be instrumental when living with depression.  We cannot overcome depression on our own.  Therapy is a key part of healing.  Some people benefit from short-term therapy.  Others need it throughout their lives.  For me therapy is as necessary as my blood pressure medication.  I need therapy as a routine part of my life.  It is a part of my healthcare.  I don’t miss my therapy sessions because I know it affects my healing. 

                  People often say just deal with it, buck up and be strong.  There are social media posts that encourage people to just push through.  We are told to smile or just get through it.  Depression does not respond to that mentality.  It is not possible to just grin and bear it.  People with depression need treatment and part of that treatment is therapy.  Going to therapy needs to be normalized.  We go to the doctor when we have the flu or other illness.  In the same way that going to the doctor is normal, we need to make it normal to go therapy.  The stigma that exists around going to therapy needs to be lifted.  It is okay to go to therapy.  Therapy is necessary treatment for people with mental illnesses such as depression.  

                  Today there are avenues to therapy that didn’t exist a few years ago. Many therapists are available for online sessions.  There are therapists’ groups who advertise on social media.  In addition, primary care providers can refer you to a therapist.  If you are affected by depression, therapy can provide you with many benefits. There is no shame in going to therapy. I wouldn’t be able to write posts or maintain this blog if it were not for therapy.  Therapy has improved my quality of life.  I encourage anyone who is struggling or even just needs some help to seek out therapy.

 

 

                  

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I like that you emphasize that therapy is as important as medication and that a person needing it should not be ashamed .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therapy is so important. I hate that there is a stigma attached to it. No one should be ashamed of needing therapy. It is a vital part of healing.

      Delete
  2. So much to think about. Very interesting piece. Thank you for continuing to help us understand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and being a part of the conversation about mental health. It is so important.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...