A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Affirmations for Anxiety

                  Anxiety affects many people.  It can show up in different ways and at any time.  It is more than just a temporary nervousness.  Anxiety interrupts a person’s ability to carry out daily activities. It is a diagnosable mental illness.  Anxiety impacts a person’s functioning. 

There are emotional and physical symptoms.  Common emotional symptoms include feelings of apprehension or dread, feeling tense or jumpy, restlessness or irritability, anticipating the worst and being watchful for signs of danger.  Common physical symptoms include pounding or racing heart and shortness of breath, upset stomach, sweating, tremors, twitches, headaches, fatigue, insomnia, frequent urination, and diarrhea.  A person will not necessarily experience all these symptoms.  Anxiety can manifest differently for different individuals.  

                  I first experienced anxiety when I was around 20 years old.  I remember a sense of doom coming over me and feeling like the world was closing in on me.  I didn’t know what was happening.  That feeling still occurs sometimes.  I experience chest pain associated with my anxiety.  It is important if you experience chest pain to have it checked so cardiac issues can be ruled out.  Another symptom of anxiety I experience is overbearing and intrusive thoughts.  It is one of the emotional symptoms of anxiety.  A dialogue will start in my head that is hell bent on telling me everything that is wrong or could go wrong.  It is a negative dialogue.  Another symptom I experience is being antsy.    Often, I feel as if I am on edge.  Combined with my depression, anxiety makes it difficult to function.

                  There are different types of anxiety disorders.  The most common are generalized anxiety disorder, phobias, panic disorder, and social anxiety.  I would recommend that if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above that you see a professional.  

                  In this post I want to focus on affirmations for dealing with anxiety.  An affirmation is a statement that is true.  Affirmations are intentional.  When using them, you have a purpose. You are saying them with the intention of easing your anxiety and reminding yourself about a truth. 

You can use affirmations in different ways.  You can say them to yourself silently or whisper them to yourself.  It might be helpful to write them on Post-Its and keep them where you can easily see them.  You can try writing them in a journal. Perhaps write a particular affirmation repeatedly.  Another way to use affirmations is to record yourself repeating them and play them back.

I try to use affirmations in an attempt to talk back to my anxiety.  In all honesty, sometimes I need more than an affirmation.  That is because anxiety is an illness.  You can’t just wish it away.  The affirmations do help, though.  I find they are most useful when I catch the anxiety early in its attack.  

                  Here are examples of some affirmations you can use:

 

·      I am okay.

·      I am safe.

·      I have done this before. I can do it again.

·      I trust myself to get through this.

·      I can reach out to others. (Possibly use someone’s name)

·      I breathe in calm and breathe out worry.

·      I can take things one at a time.

·      I love and accept myself.

·      I forgive myself and let go.

·      I am doing my best and that is enough.

·      Even when I struggle, I am strong.

·      I have hope. 

 

 

Incorporating affirmations into your daily life can help ease anxiety.  Affirmations can be used in conjunction with treatments such as therapy and medication.  You do not have to handle anxiety on your own.  There is help.  If you have never been diagnosed, you might want to start by having a conversation with your primary care provider.  These providers can refer you to the right mental health professional.  It is important to remember that anxiety is an illness, and it requires health care.  

                  If you are struggling with anxiety, know that you are not alone.  It can feel like you are alone.  It can feel like the anxiety is too much to handle. I have often felt this way.  I need to remind myself to use affirmations.  With the help of my mental health team, I have developed a toolbox of coping strategies for anxiety.  Many of the coping strategies are the same as or similar to ones I use for depression.  Affirmations are a part of that toolbox. I encourage you to try some of these affirmations.  You can write some of your own if there is a specific statement you want to remind yourself of.  I will leave you with an affirmation:

 

                  I am stronger than my anxiety.

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. I hope these affirmations help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your affirmations. They work. I use them often. Specially now with my daughter and they always help. I use with her “I am brave, I am strong, this to shall pass”. It’s help every time. Sometimes she has to say it more than once or twice but it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad affirmations work for you and your daughter. They can be powerful.

      Delete
  3. I also use them with my son, and with myself. Any reinforcement our brain receives and hears is impactful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Affirmations are powerful at any age.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...