A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Letting the Light In

“We are all broken…that’s how the light gets in.” – Ernest Hemingway

 

                  The other day I saw this quote posted on a Giving Voice to Depression  social media page. I have heard this quote many times. It has always given me reason to think. It relates well to my view of depression and the ways I have expressed depression and healing in my writing. 

                  Depression is a darkness. It fills our lives with shades we cannot see through. Darkness has long represented how I feel when the depression is heavy. I have written many poems with the theme of darkness. I understand the darkness. I have lived within its shadows for so long. Darkness represents my brokenness. It is a brokenness that people who live with depression know all too well. 

                  Brokenness can be a symbol for the struggle in the dark that a person suffering with depression lives with. In a sense our life is broken. I think that is another way of referring to the illness that is depression. Depression breaks down what is considered a normal thought process. However, I’m not sure I would agree that there is a normal thought process. We each think differently. For some of us those thoughts turn dark. These thoughts turn in on us and leave us in pain. It can literally feel like we are in the dark. 

When we are in the darkness, it seems as if we will never see the light of healing. I have always expressed healing as a light in my writing and in my thoughts. When healing occurs, it is as if light is breaking through the darkness. Sometimes the light peeks through a crack. That is a small moment of healing, a brief reprieve from the darkness. At other times the light can burst through the darkness. I have experienced that with both TMS treatment and esketamine treatment. The burst of light is a shattering of the darkness, a lifting of the depression. 

I believe we experience light in varying degrees at different times in our lives. Extreme darkness, those times when suicidal thoughts are strongest, makes it seem impossible to experience the light of healing. Our thoughts tell us there is no light. It is in these times that we must hold on to the aspects of healing that are present in our lives. It may be a mental health professional, a friend or loved one, or a treatment. Holding on to whichever it is, allows light to break into our lives. By the very fact that we are broken, we have cracks to let the light in.  We just find it difficult to see this. It is difficult to understand how light can reach us when we are in the depths of darkness. 

I believe the light is there even when we struggle to see its presence. I need to believe this. If I didn’t, I would be completely without hope. Often, I need assistance remembering that the light is out there. That is okay. We shouldn’t face the darkness of depression alone, which is why conversations about depression are so important. As Glenn Close said, “What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation.”

Darkness is going to be present with depression. The goal is to find ways to allow the light in. This can be a Herculean task. Don’t embark on this task on your own. Even if you are alone, reach out to someone. Reach into the light that is seeping through the cracks in your depression. The cracks are there. Everything that is broken has cracks. Some we can see, others we can’t. Those cracks allow the light in. The light can be a therapist or psychiatrist, a medication, a support group, a non-traditional treatment, or loved one. Find your cracks. Be open to allowing the light in even in your darkest moments. Depression is deep darkness, but the light of healing can seep in. 

At the beginning of this post, I mentioned Giving Voice to Depression. This podcast can be another source of light. I have found light in listening to the stories shared on this podcast and I would encourage you to check it out. 

 

8 comments:

  1. I love this Gina. So being a crackpot ain’t all bad. Pondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cracks make us who we are.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite quotes is: The light at the end of the tunnel is not an illusion, the tunnel is. -unknown - I think this is relevant here and your words make me think of that contrast in our brain states... thanks for continuing to write and uplift us always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I like your quote. That’s deep.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this amazing quote and how you see it. I have personally seen it on so many people when they are going through depression and how they don’t see the light. I myself have felt that way with anxiety. You feel that you are never going to get better. But eventually it does. Thank you once again. This helps so that we always keep in mind those that can only see darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find the light of healing for your anxiety.

      Delete
  4. I always thought that depression would be a tangible feeling (like sleepy, sad, or irritable) rather than a loss of sight, which probably makes it more difficult to relate to others. The imagery provides prospective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think depression can feel different for each person. I often feel a heaviness in addition to being wrapped in the darkness. Loneliness can definitely accompany the darkness.

      Delete

Ask the Question

                   September is Suicide Awareness Month. It is a month we try to raise awareness about suicide and how many people are affec...