A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Monday, July 1, 2024

Connection

                  There are a lot of different treatments for depression and other mental illnesses. Some of these include therapy, medication, transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), esketamine, and ECT. These can each be effective. Some work better than others depending on the individual. Each are important treatments. These treatments are not enough in isolation. The person providing the treatment is just as important as the treatment itself. It is the connection between patient and provider that dictates the full efficacy of the treatment. 

                  While I have had the same psychologist providing therapy for a very long time, I have had several psychiatrists over the years. I have a strong connection to my psychologist. That allows my therapy to be effective for me. It plays its role in my healing. For most of us therapy alone is not enough to defeat depression. That is where psychiatrists enter treatment. Part of the psychiatrist’s role is to prescribe medication that will work in concert with the therapy. I first saw a psychiatrist over 20 years ago. Since then, I have seen several different ones. Something was always missing. It wasn’t until I started seeing my current psychiatrist, who I have been seeing for several years now, that I understood that there must be a connection between patient and psychiatrist. That connection makes a huge difference.

                  What do I mean by connection? It is the relationship between provider and patient The psychiatrist needs to listen to what is being said by the patient. Out of all the previous psychiatrists I saw only one listened. I only saw him for a short time because he moved away. His listening started a connection, but it wasn’t enough. It begins with listening, but there also needs to be a sense of interest in the patient’s care. I never felt like my previous psychiatrists saw me. Some of them never looked up from their computer or prescription pad. How can you know what a patient needs if you don’t look them in the eye? It was always a refill or a new prescription and see you next month.

                  Connection was missing. Whether it is a therapist/psychologist or psychiatrist there needs to be connection. What is connection? It is the sense that both sides are invested in what is being discussed. Connection drives the patient/provider interaction. It allows the interaction to be beneficial and lead to healing. 

The same connection is needed for other treatments. My experiences with TMS and esketamine were enhanced because of the connection between the psychiatric nurse practitioner providing the treatment and me. The trust that builds up makes the treatment even more effective. It is a part of human nature to seek out connection. Without that connection, treatment cannot be truly successful.

It is often difficult to trust others when you live with depression or other mental illnesses. Connection does not develop easily. We become used to the lack of understanding that surrounds our illnesses. We know the ridicule all too well. That makes it difficult for us to reach out or to trust. We need connection, but we fear the lack of understanding that we are often met with instead of connection. 

I believe that I would not have found the healing I have found if it were not for the connection I have with my mental health team. Being connected to them allows me to trust in their care. It allows me to share whatever I need to discuss and know that it will be met with openness and genuine understanding. 

I don’t know what training programs for mental health providers consist of, but I hope it includes instruction on how to develop connection with patients. Most of the providers I saw who I did not connect with were older. Maybe training programs are improving. I would like to share my experience with and understanding of connection with mental health providers so that those coming into the profession understand what is needed. I share my stories here in the hopes that they are read by those who can make a difference. My blog has a small audience right now, but I hope to grow it. I hope people will share my posts and that more people will understand mental health. I’ll continue to write. I will continue to be a voice in the hopes that it helps those with mental illness as well as those who provide care for us.

 

                  

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask the Question

                   September is Suicide Awareness Month. It is a month we try to raise awareness about suicide and how many people are affec...