A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Eeyore – A Character with Depression

                  Last week’s Giving Voice to Depression Podcast episode, “Inviting the Eeyores” inspired today’s post. Check out the podcast at https://givingvoicetodepression.com/ or wherever you listen to podcasts. 

                  Depression is more present in society than is generally acknowledged. Gratefully, that is starting to change. We are seeing mental illness portrayed in a more positive light. Today I would like to share a character that has been “living” with depression for quite a long time. 

Eeyore is well-known character from the “Winnie the Pooh” stories. Many people believe that Eeyore suffers from depression. According to the Florida State College at Jacksonville Pressbooks, Eeyore exhibits five symptoms of a major depressive episode. Those symptoms include “…depressed mood most of the day, markedly diminished interest or pleasure in activities, fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day, feelings of worthlessness, and diminished ability to think or concentrate.”  Based on the stories Eeyore has experienced these symptoms for several years. The symptoms Eeyore exhibits lead one to believe that he struggles with depression. If we diagnosed fictional characters, Eeyore would likely have a diagnosis of major depression.

I can relate to Eeyore. His symptoms match mine and countless others with depression. I have felt the low mood and feelings of unworthiness. I struggle with diminished interested in activities that at other times I enjoy. I can relate to Eeyore’s difficulty concentrating. We both live with depression.

There are no psychiatrists or therapists in “Winnie the Pooh”, but Eeyore does have a group of friends who support him and keep him around despite his depression. I think society can learn a lot from Eeyore’s friends. They accept him as he is. They don’t try to change him. They don’t force him to do things he is not up to doing. Instead, they treat him with care and are just happy to have him around. Eeyore’s friends let him hang out with them even when he is struggling with depression. They accept him as he is. We can learn a lot from these fictional characters. 

I know when I am not up to engaging in activities, I appreciate friends and family who text to check in on me. It means a lot to me when they show an interest in how I am doing, but don’t force me to act in a way I am not capable of acting because of my depression. The understanding is the important part. Understanding that a person with depression is not able to do things you may want them to do helps. When someone with depression cancels plans or says no to an invitation, it is not because we don’t want to do things with you. Rather, it is because we can’t. Depression paralyzes us. It leaves us unable to engage in activities. 

Eeyore’s friends understood this. I don’t know if A.A. Milne, the creator of the Winnie the Pooh stories, intended to have a character with depression, but I am glad he created Eeyore the way he did. Even though he is a children’s character, I can look at him and see myself reflected in Eeyore. Maybe when I am struggling, I should tell my family and friends to check out Eeyore and his friends.  These characters who were intended to entertain, are really teaching a valuable lesson.  Accept people with depression as they are. Don’t try to change them. Don’t force them into activities they are not able to engage in.  Eeyore’s friends may not have known that he had a mental health disorder, but they understood him and what he needed from them. Life would be easier for those of us with depression if more people were like Eeyore’s friends. 


Eeyore - D23

2 comments:

  1. I think many of us can relate with more than one Whinnie The Pooh character. My son loves the show and all characters, and my hope is that I can teach him that we can each encompass different characteristics and still be a supportive unit. We lean on each other's strengths for our weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete

Suicidal Ideation and Suicide Are Not Signs of Weakness

                     At times there is a misconception that suicidal ideation and/or suicide are signs of weakness. This couldn’t be farther...