A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Monday, August 12, 2024

Rough Times Do Not Undo Progress

                  I saw something the other day that discussed how hitting a rough time does not undo the progress a person has made. It was something I needed to hear. Sometimes when my depression gets worse, or my anxiety ticks up the darkness starts to consume me. It is easy to forget the progress I have made on my mental health journey. I’m lucky to have a team supporting me who remind me of my progress and encourage me to keep going.

                  One aspect of depression that I have experienced is the waves of darkness that float in and out of my life. I will have rough times and then treatment will lead me into the light of healing. I will feel better during these times. When things get rough, I start to forget what the light of healing feels like. I think that is normal part of living with depression. It is not a welcomed part, but it is a part of the illness.

                  Talking with members of my mental health team helps me remember that depression can get better. Treatment can ease the darkness that suffocates me. Talking about the depression with them allows me to focus on healing. They remind me that rough times do not last. It takes work to get out of the depression’s bad times. I need to work on coping skills in therapy. Also, I need to practice those skills outside of therapy. For me that means writing, walking, creating art, and using positive self-talk. I must admit that sometimes it is hard to engage in these coping strategies. When depression is choking me, I don’t want to do anything. I want to stay in bed and hide from depression. I want my mind to shut off. Sometimes when the depression is at its worst, I even want to end my life. That is one of the scariest parts of living with depression. I lose hope at times and reach the point of not wanting to continue. Thankfully, I have learned that I can reach out and more importantly need to reach out to my mental health team in those times.

                  Another thing I have learned is that depression’s rough times have another side. Healing does exist. Sometimes it takes a little work to find it, but it can be found. That is part of why I talk about mental health so much. The idea that healing is possible is the impetus of this blog. I want others to know that the darkness we feel when depression is in control doesn’t have to be permanent. We can fight back. We can find the light of healing. I know that in the midst of a depressive episode it is hard to believe the light is out there waiting for us. I’ve spent my life learning this. Even after all these years I need reminders that rough times don’t last. I hope this blog serves as a reminder for others that it is possible to get out from under the shackles of depression. 

                  I have made a lot of progress in my battle with depression. When I hit a rough time, it is hard to remember that I have made progress. Rough times do not undo progress. I don’t know if rough times make us stronger. I think they hurt more than anything. But we can push through them. Rough times do not define us. Just like depression rides in on waves, so to does healing. Our goal is to hang on to those times of healing. Enjoy them and live our lives. We need to continue to work on coping skills even in the times of healing. Those skills will carry into the rough times and help us cope. 

                  Rough times exist when you have an illness like depression, but they don’t have to be our sole reality. We work to get through those times and lean on our support systems. If you don’t have a support system, I urge you to reach out and create one. You can join support groups and take classes through organizations like NAMI (https://www.nami.org/). Talk to your primary care provider about a referral to therapy or a psychiatrist. Start a discussion with friends or family who might be able to support you. This can be a hard step. Openness helps when talking to family and friends. Not all of them will understand, but it is worth trying. 

                  Depression creates rough times. There are times of darkness when it is difficult to function. We can get through these times with help. As difficult as it is, we must trust that the light of healing is out there waiting for us. We need to give ourselves permission to look for that light. Not an easy task, but one that is worth it.

 

2 comments:

  1. We often feel like when we have a challenge, we are set back. That’s natural, but it’s also a part of progress—it isn’t a straight line. Keep pushing ahead, there may be some hills and twists, but we should keep on moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll keep pushing through the twists and hills.

      Delete

Suicidal Ideation and Suicide Are Not Signs of Weakness

                     At times there is a misconception that suicidal ideation and/or suicide are signs of weakness. This couldn’t be farther...