A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Hair Loss

            As I mentioned in my last post, I have cancer.  It has been a difficult time.  I have had trouble writing.  Usually writing is healing for me.  I have found it hard to sit down and write.  Cancer and the treatment are taking a lot out of me.  However, I am determined to write because I know it provides me with an avenue to release what I am thinking.  

            In the past couple of days, I’ve written two poems.  I am going to share one with you today.  First, let me provide a little background.  I knew I was going to lose my hair.  To maintain some sense of control, I had my hair cut short.  I thought I’d get ahead of the hair loss.  I thought it would take some time before I my hair started falling out on its own.  Unfortunately, I was wrong. Hair is already coming out.  It has hit me hard.  Somehow, the hair loss makes the cancer more real.  I don’t know how to explain it.  So, I wrote about it.  

            Here is the poem:

 

Hair Loss

 

I have always hated my hair.

Tangled and frizzed,

Matted into hidden knots.

Curls others envied,

I looked upon as difficult to manage.

Now my brown locks are gone. 

My hair is falling out.

No more curls.

A glance in the mirror,

I appear different. 

My face no longer hidden by long curls.

I have lost a part of my identity.

I knew it would happen.

A side effect of the medication I need to live.

I understand,

The loss means the medication is at work,

But it reminds me how real this disease truly is. 

Hair loss should not bring such tears.

Still the tears flow.

My mind questions what is happening within my body.

On the outside hair falls out.

Inside medication and cells are at war.

A battle that will determine if I live or die.

My tears flow as my hair falls out.

Reminding me that a killer disease dwells within me.  

The hair is symbolic, but my tears are real.

Cancer has grabbed hold of me and

My hair loss will not allow me to forget. 

14 comments:

  1. What a powerful poem. Thank you for sharing with us. Sending you so much strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your capture hits me in the gut. I’m so proud of you. Wrap yourself in my love and kick the “you-know-what” out of that “you-know-what”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m going to fight hard.

      Delete
  3. You are strong! Don’t give up on this journey! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So powerful. I’m so glad you decided to write about your hair. I know how much you love to write. And this will allow you to have that time to deal with your hair while describing what you feel doing what you love (to write). Yes the hair will grow back but you are right, it makes it more real. As always sending you so much positive vibes and energy. Your hair will grow again and more beautiful than it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The writing is helping.

      Delete
  6. Beautifully written, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a gut punch and I wish that you didn’t need to go through this. I’m not sure that saying anything gets good about the situation can help. But we are here for you. Now go kick cancer’s a$$ and then step aside you have a line forming behind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan is to keep fighting until I knock cancer on its ass!

      Delete
  8. Gina, it’s Sue. Losing my hair hit me very hard too, and I think your poem explained why better than I ever could. I knew it was coming, so I too cut off my quite-long hair in anticipation. And it was cute! And then it started falling out in big clumps, and like you, it just reminded me of the horrible battle I was fighting. So I sped up the process to get it over with. I put a screen over the kitchen sink drain, put my head under the faucet and pulled out as much as I could. Then I went out and sat in the back yard and Dick buzzed me right down to my scalp. I couldn’t believe how much it helped my attitude, and how much better I felt about everything to just get it over with. I went around the house bald most of the time, and wore baseball caps when I went out. I initially resisted getting a wig. But then one of the ladies at the chemo lab offered me a wig and I started wearing it and got more compliments on my “hair” than I’d ever had in my life! You should consider it, and also ask the chemo nurses if they have a stash of wigs you can check out. They might be able to help you pick a cute one! When my hair started growing back, the first time I went out without my wig was to the women’s basketball breast cancer awareness game where I was honored as a breast cancer survivor. It felt really good to have that wig off, although it never really bothered me. My hair has completely grown out now, but I’ve kept it short and quite love it! It feels like a long haul now, and endless, but soon enough it’ll be in the rear-view mirror. Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story. I wasn’t expecting the hair loss to happen this quickly. The hair funeral I had helped me process it. I’ve been wearing a ball cap when I leave the house. Going as is in my house. I’m going to fight this cancer. It has spread to other places in my body, but the dr says I can still beat it. I’m going to be a survivor.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...