A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, October 26, 2023

A Moment of Gratitude

           Today I want to share more gratitude.  I hope you will allow me this time.  It is important to me as I battle cancer.  I can’t do it alone.  This is the one place where I can say what I have to say.  I don’t know who will read it, but I hope my gratitude comes across.

            As many of you know I am a special education teacher. I knew when I left my previous school in June that I was I leaving great teachers (also counselors, paraprofessionals, and campus aides) behind.  Little did I know just how amazing they are.  These teachers and staff have joined my battle with cancer.  Many have reached out to me through phone calls, texts, cards, and messages through my friend, Maria.  I treasure every message.  Facing mortality really changes perspective and reminds me of what is important in life.  These messages provide me with connection.  They give me hope. The teachers and staff at my former school have generously donated money to assist me financially while cancer prevents me from working.  I don’t know how to thank them enough.  I cried when I found out. They are more than colleagues. They are my teacher family. 

            In May I made a life changing decision.  I chose to leave the school I have called home for nine and a half years.  That meant leaving my teacher friends.  I had reasons for leaving that had nothing to do with the teachers.  In a perfect world I would still be working with these wonderful people.  Some of them know the reason I left. Even more understand without  knowing the details. 

            Before I could start work at a new school in an out of classroom position as a special education coordinator, I received the diagnosis of stage 4 metastatic breast cancer.  I had been looking forward to this position.  I haven’t been able to work since.  But my teacher friends, including teachers, counselors, paraprofessionals, and campus aides rose up and have had my back. 

            I cannot express enough how much their support means to me.  I am so grateful to have them in my corner.  They are the best of the best.  I wish they heard that more often.  Teaching is a tough profession. These teachers work their butts off.  They are the most dedicated group I have had the privilege to work with in my 26-year career.  They don’t get the credit they deserve for all their hard work.  I hope knowing that I appreciate them goes a little way in helping them know how truly great they are.  

The students at my former school are lucky to have such a dedicated staff.  As I mentioned in my last post, the students at this school are great, too. I don’t know if leaving was the right choice.  Things have changed too much now for me to ever know.  I do know that I had to make the move ironically for my health, mainly my depression.  The cancer changed things.  I don’t know if I will ever be able to step back into a classroom like these amazing people.  Cancer may take that away from me.  I may decide I can’t go back.  I struggle with this, but I know I was blessed to work with my colleagues for the last nine and a half years.  If any of you are reading this, know that I am grateful for your help and support.  Know that I believe in you.  I know you give your best for students.  You show up every day and do what is best for kids.  The world needs more people like you.  Thank you for joining me on this journey.  You give me strength to keep fighting.  Keep messaging me. Your words go a long way in helping me fight cancer.

            

6 comments:

  1. I had the fortune of meeting some of your colleagues and friends; beautiful people, like you, who’ve changed kids’ lives. Admiration from me for you all. Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are truly wonderful people and amazing teachers.

      Delete
  2. I’m glad you have support of these special people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. They are wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Teaching is a beautiful gift to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been blessed to work with some amazing teachers.

      Delete

Suicide Warning Signs

                   One way to take action during Suicide Prevention Month is to learn the warning signs that someone may be at risk for atte...