A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Friday, October 6, 2023

National Physician’s Assistants Day

           I’d like to do something a little different today.  October 6th is a day set aside to recognize an important group of health care professionals, physician’s assistants (PA).  Since I am a teacher, I need to start with a little history lesson.  

The physician’s assistant profession was created by Dr. Eugene Stead at Duke University in 1965.  Two years later on October 6, 1967, the first class of physician’s assistants graduated and joined the health care profession.  You may be wondering what exactly a physician’s assistant is. A physician’s assistant is a health care professional who is licensed to practice medicine as a part of a team with physicians.  They conduct physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret tests, prescribe medication, counsel on preventive health, and may assist in surgery.  Physician assistants are valuable members of the health care profession.

I chose to write about physician’s assistants today because I have received great care from physician assistants over the years.  One of the first I met was Mona.  She played a significant role in my life because she caught that a former psychiatrist was overmedicating me and that I was addicted to one of my anxiety medications.  I am grateful to her for being willing to address a problem and help me get the right care.  

After Mona I had a bad experience with a health care professional, but that is a story for another post.  This experience left me unwilling to trust health care professionals and convinced that my mental illness was a negative issue for health care professionals.  Luckily, I soon met another physician’s assistant, Greta.  She was kind and understanding.  She made it possible for me to let go of my insecurity and fear so that I could trust a health care professional again.  I only saw Greta for a couple years, but she impacted me.  She took an interest in my health care and made me feel safe.  She was always proactive.  Greta understood when I was depressed or anxious.  She gave me the time I needed and was always empathetic.  I am grateful to Greta for the impact she had on me. 

Greta moved on, but before she left, she recommended another PA to take over my care.  I was nervous.  I wasn’t sure I could see someone other than Greta.  My first experience with Cristina was a positive one despite my fears.  I saw her because my insurance insisted on a referral from my primary care to get the treatment I needed for my depression.  I sat in the exam room and meekly expressed to Cristina that I need her to refer me for transcranial magnetic stimulation, also known as TMS. (A post on TMS is forthcoming.) I was aware that Cristina didn’t know about my history with depression.  I was worried she would ask too many questions and that she wouldn’t make the referral.  Greta was right.  Cristina was so understanding.  She made the referral without questioning me.  She was empathetic and understanding.  I knew in that moment that I was safe with her.  I have been seeing Cristina for several years now.  I trust her.  She takes time with me.  She talks with me.  One thing Cristina does that I think is sign of a high-quality health care professional is she listens to me, but not only what I am saying, but also what I am not saying.  Being able to do that requires a gift.  Sometimes I think doctors move so fast and have so much to do that they forget to connect with patients on personal level.  My experience has been that physician’s assistants, like Cristina, meet patients on a personal level and provide care from there.

The past couple of months I have seen Cristina several times.  Having her by my side has been extremely important.  She has helped me through my cancer diagnosis.  I saw her after I was dismissed by the ER.  She looked at the ultrasound results and didn’t hesitate to order tests.  A doctor had overlooked my test results in the hospital, but a physician’s assistant knew more was needed.  I had tests done and spent a few days in the hospital.  Cristina could have let the hospital take over.  There was a doctor there, although I don’t even remember his name.  When he would speak to me, he would spend about three minutes with me and speak over my head.  Cristina took over. On July 21st she gave me the news that I had cancer.  It was so much better to receive this news from her instead of a nameless, three-minute doctor in the hospital.  She allowed me to process what she was saying in my own way.  She was empathetic and caring.  In this day where masks prevent us from seeing each other’s facial expressions, I could see how much she cared in her eyes.  Seeing that look made this devasting news easier to cope with for me.  She continues to be by my side in this battle.  She helped me get the right oncologist, someone who is more like Cristina than like Dr. Three-Minute.  I know that Cristina is there if I have questions or if an issue arises.  That is an enormous comfort, one that I am grateful for. 

I am sure there are good doctors out there.  There are doctors who provide the same kind of care I have received from Cristina.  I am grateful to have had physician’s assistants as my primary health care providers over the years.  I believe their care is on a different level.  Maybe it is their training.  Maybe it is the type of person who goes into this profession. It is also possible that I have just been lucky.  Whatever it is, I am grateful there are physician’s assistants in the health care profession.  That is why I share this post today.  I want to acknowledge physician’s assistants, especially the ones who like Cristina provide care with their heart as well as their wealth of medical knowledge.  

If you see a physician’s assistant for your health care, please take a moment to acknowledge them and say thank you.  October 6th is National Physician’s Day.  It is followed by Physician’s Assistants week, October 6-12th.  

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting lesson Ms Teacher. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome. PAs need more credit for the work they do.

      Delete
  2. Mine was Roberta. She knew when Community Hospital sent the results to Kaiser that I needed to see my doctor asap. Within 2 months, I had so many tests before surgery. She helped me through another difficult time. Cancer socks. Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you had Roberta. PAs are special people.

      Delete

Ask the Question

                   September is Suicide Awareness Month. It is a month we try to raise awareness about suicide and how many people are affec...