A blog about living with major depression disorder. Sharing what life is like when depression clouds your world. Providing coping skills and information about depression and treatment. Creating a community for people to share their lived experiences. A place for people to come together and learn and heal. All are welcome.

Thursday, September 26, 2024

National Psychotherapy Day

                  Yesterday was National Psychotherapy Day. It is celebrated yearly on September 25th. Psychotherapy is an integral part of the treatment mental health disorders.  I have benefited greatly from psychotherapy over the years. Let’s take a look at what psychotherapy is and the role it plays in mental health care.

                  Psychotherapy dates back to the 9th century. Purposeful and theory-based psychotherapy was first developed by the Persian physician and psychological thinker, Rhazes. According to Psychiatry Online, Rhazes combined psychological methods with physiological explanations. His use of psychotherapy was primitive, but it was the beginning of the field. He was director of a hospital in Baghdad where he established a special section of the hospital to treat people with mental illnesses. He is credited with the first instances of psychiatric aftercare. It is believed that he also started the first psychiatric consultation service in a general hospital. 

                  Today psychotherapy is defined as “variety of treatments that aim to help a person identify and change troubling emotions, thoughts, and behaviors.” (National Institute of Mental Health, NIMH). Psychotherapy takes place in a one-on-one setting with a licensed mental health professional. It can also take place in a group setting. 

                  Psychotherapy is used to treat different mental health disorders. It has helped me in my lifelong battle with depression and anxiety. It has given me space to learn about my illnesses and how to live with them. Psychotherapy has also provided me with a space to talk about what I am going through and how my mental illnesses impact my life. I am lucky to have been with the same psychologist for a long time, which has provided me with consistency and sense of familiarity. Being with the same provider has also allowed me to feel safe as we work on my mental health. I am grateful for all I have received through psychotherapy.  

                  According to NIMH there are several elements to psychotherapy. These include assisting a person to gain awareness of automatic ways of thinking that are inaccurate or harmful. Once there is an awareness psychotherapy helps the person question those thoughts and understand how the thoughts affect their emotions and behavior leading to change in self-defeating behavior patterns. Psychotherapy can assist a person in identifying ways to cope with stress and developing problem solving strategies. It can assist with social and communication skills. Learning to apply mindfulness and relaxation techniques can be a part of psychotherapy. A psychotherapist might help a person track emotions and behaviors to raise awareness of their impact on each other. Psychotherapy can provide supportive counseling and assist a person in exploring troubling issues and receiving emotional support. A psychotherapist might also help a person create a safety plan to help with self-harm or suicidal thoughts. 

                  There are different types of psychotherapy. It may take a few tries to find the approach that works best for an individual. Regardless, psychotherapy can be an integral aspect of the treatment of a mental health disorder. NIMH is a good resource for learning about the types of psychotherapy that can be useful for different disorders. You can also talk to your mental health provider about what they use and/or recommend for you. If you don’t have a mental health provider, start by having a conversation with your primary care provider. 

I believe, and I think most providers would agree, that psychotherapy is a commitment. It requires the patient to be willing to work on improving how they deal with their condition. When we are in psychotherapy, we must be honest and open. It doesn’t work if are not willing to do the work necessary to control our mental illness.

                  For me psychotherapy has been a lifeline. I am grateful beyond words for my psychologist and the treatment/support he provides. As I stated earlier it takes work. Commitment is required from both the individual and the provider. The work is not always easy. I have struggled at times, but I know the work is worth it. Psychotherapy is a part of my lifetime treatment. I need to work on my mental health to function in a healthy way. This is true for anyone with a mental health condition. Our illnesses don’t magically disappear. I liken it to someone with a health issue such as diabetes. A person with diabetes must watch their diet, they need to exercise and take medication or insulin throughout their life. When you a mental illness you need to take similar steps throughout your life. Psychotherapy is one of those steps. 

                  For National Psychotherapy Day I want to thank my psychologist and all who provide psychotherapy. You make a difference.

4 comments:

  1. Very informative. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting that psychotherapy can be traced back so far. Yet it is still not as accepted as much as it should be.

      Delete
  2. Therapy is meant to be used even at times when you are feeling well - you don't wait until the house is fully up in flames to learn how to put it out.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome October

September is over, but that doesn’t mean we stop being aware of the importance of suicide prevention. We must continue to check on each othe...